Monday, July 19, 2004

Word of God Speak

Read Job 32:1-33:33
 
Chapters 32 through 37 contain the speeches of the youngest of the group of comforters that surrounded Job. His name is Elihu. He has waited and waited for his chance to speak and now it is his turn. He will begin by first speaking to Job and addressing Job’s contention that he is sin free: “But you have said in my hearing—I heard the very words—‘I am pure and without sin; I am clean and free from guilt. Yet God has found fault with me; he considers me his enemy. He fastens my feet in shackles; he keeps close watch on all my paths.’” He would spend the rest of the chapter disputing this point.
 
In verse 13 he makes another charge against Job: “Why do you complain to him that he answers none of men’s words?” Verses 14-30 contend that God does speak to man in a variety of ways. Sometimes it is through dreams (15), other times it is through pain (19), or even through an angel (23). He says that the reason God speaks to man is “to tell a man what is right for him.” Furthermore, he says God does these things “twice, even three times—to turn back his soul from the pit, that the light of life may shine on him.”
 
Now from a purely ‘Jobian’ perspective, that is, knowing the ‘whole story’, this is not pertinent to Job. Job did not need turned back from anything because he was not guilty of anything (at least as far as his suffering was concerned). Nevertheless, there is truth in what the man is saying about God’s voice being projected towards the wayward man even if we disagree on how God does so.
 
Does God speak to us in dreams? I do not know, but he might. Does God speak to us through pain, most assuredly. Does God speak to us through mediating angels? Again, I do not know, but he might. There is one concrete way God does speak to us and that is through His Word. This we must not overlook. I believe that the Bible contains the Mind and Voice of God and that to disregard it or ignore it or to turn a deaf ear to it is detrimental.
 
I cannot tell you how often I am convicted by the Word of God. Not a day goes by that I do not learn something about God’s plan for my life. He is always telling me how I ought to be living my life. When I am wayward he draws me into the fold. When I am weak he strengthens me. When I am confused he guides and directs me. And he does it all through His Word.
 
Some want to hear God’s voice and go out of their way to hear it audibly. I do not believe that we need to sit around waiting for God’s thunder to rumble from the clouds. Instead, we should search the Scripture and find His truth there. “Faith comes by hearing the Word of God.” So does guidance and correction. (Paul also wrote, “All Scripture is God-breathed, and is useful for teaching, correcting, rebuking and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” Whatever else this might mean, it certainly means that when we read the Scripture, we are reading not the words of men but the Words and Mind of God. It is His voice we hear in the Scripture.)
 
Prayer Thoughts on Job 32:1-33:33
 
Prayer thoughts today include asking God for wisdom and guidance. But when you pray make certain you ask God to guide you through his word. You do not have to sit around waiting for an audible sound. Remember when God did this in the NT some people confused his voice with thunder. In Scripture we never have that problem because his voice is clear, consistent, and concise. Pray for wisdom from the Word.

No comments: