Monday, July 19, 2004

Job Rests his Case

Read Job 31:1-40
 
These are almost Job’s last words. He will speak one more time after this but we will not read it for a while. On chapter 31 we will require some background information. Here is background by James Strauss: “In the ancient Israelite legal procedure the oath of innocence repudiating an accusation was of crucial importance. Where clear evidence was lacking, it was taken as proof of the innocence of the accused. Thus, the swearing of such an oath was a solemn religious celebration, which placed the verdict in God’s hands. Job here swears his innocence, then challenges the Creator of the universe to give His verdict, i.e., acknowledge that he is innocent.” (Strauss, The Shattering of Silence, 306-307)
 
David Atkinson notes that Job sets out his oath in formulaic pattern: “If I have...then...” He goes on to note that this pattern is used with reference to Job’s: 1) purity, 2) truth, 3) honor, 4) justice, 5) moral priorities and 6) neighbor love. Job says he has done things correctly, right, the way they should be done so there should be no charge against him. (David Atkinson, Suffering and Grace, 113)
 
The last thing Job can say is: Oh, that I had someone to hear me! I sign now my defense--let the Almighty answer me: let my accuser put his indictment in writing.” What else can a person do? I think Job was bold for going as far as he went to be honest with you. Job is far less a coward than I am because I would never have the nerve to declare my innocence before God the way Job does. (And, furthermore, I think it speaks volumes that throughout the book, Job has acknowledged that the only one he will be judged by is God. It seems to me that we spend an awful amount of time preparing our defenses for other humans, and too little time preparing our defenses before God. And yet, God is the only Judge whose verdict, ultimately, matters.)
 
But Job is not entirely off the mark here either. When you think about it what else can we do? What else can a person say to God? The Scripture commends us to boldly approach the thrown of grace and I think here that is exactly what Job is doing. Again I ask “What else can we do?”
 
The truth of the matter is that all Job can do is state his case before God. Then, innocent or guilty, God will make a judgment on each case. Job has rested his case so to speak and is now just waiting for God to once and for all break his silent vigil and let Job know what is going on in his world. Job has said, “I am finished complaining. Now I rest my case to the hands of God and await for his verdict.”
 
We are not much different. Our case has been presented to God, we have been weighed in the balance and found wanting. Paul writes in Romans, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” There is the verdict. It matters little if we think we are innocent or even if we are honest enough to admit our guilt. The fact is, we are guilty. The story does not end there.
 
On another plane God has already wrestled with our guilt. He did so when Jesus Christ was crucified at Calvary. “...for all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” When we trust our case to God his verdict is grace.
 
Prayer Thoughts on Job 31:1-40
 
Pray prayers of confession today. Confess before God your sins and trust that his verdict is grace. You already know it is through Jesus Christ. His verdict was mercy and salvation, just as it was with Job.

No comments: