Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Simple and Sanguine

The other day I had to take a trip to the bookstore to do some shopping. I went by myself so that I could browse and take as much time as I wanted. Yes, I selfishly coveted some time to walk through the rows and stacks of books and breathe deeply of their aroma. I love that musty, inky smell of books, old and new, mingling in my nose. In my mind, there is nothing in the world like a fine book—I compare it to the way some people view vintage wines or Cuban cigars. But you know what I enjoy more than the simple, sanguine scent of a bound stack of paper and glue and ink? What’s on the paper—I don’t know what would become of the world if we ever ran out of ink, glue and paper because computer screens are a pathetically cheap imitation of the book—is what thrills me the most. It is that—I love to read and see how other people say things that I feel or believe. I love to listen to how others express the wisdom and beauty of the heart and mind.

So on my way to the bookstore, where I would browse through thousands of books and millions of words, I decided to perform a little experiment. I turned on the radio in my mini-van and started ‘rocking-out’, complete with head-banging, air-guitaring, and steering-wheel drumming. Oh, I had a grand time. But the experiment, contrary to what you are thinking, had nothing to do with seeing how quickly I could wreck my van into a guardrail or telephone pole. My experiment was much deeper than that. I was more interested, actually, in the content of the music I was listening to last night. Usually, I flip around until I find a song I can sing with or a song that moves me. Last night, I listened to everything that came on, except commercials, in the hopes of uncovering a few gems worthy of my efforts to write and drive at the same time. That van you saw screaming down the median was me.

So what I did was simple. I listened to the songs and tried my best to decipher the lyrics. What I heard was simply astounding. I heard musicians on ‘secular’ radio stations praying to God, crying over lost love, bemoaning their loneliness, and crying out for direction in life. I don’t listen to ‘pop’ music, so this was actually atypical, and certainly not what I expected. I listen to the more rough and rugged music so what I heard coming from the lead singers of such bands as Alice in Chains, Velvet Revolver, and others like them, was simply astounding. I have included a sampling of some of the lyrics I heard below—but often times without reference to the band because often the radio stations do not tell us the name of the bands. I have also included some thoughts that I had while walking through Wal-Mart and the Half Price Bookstore. Sometimes I heard a lyric in a song and changed it around to simply ask a question that the band was answering or asking. Simply put, this is a hodge-podge of madness that I scribbled down in a notebook while driving 70 mph in a 45 zone (just kidding). (I have included quotation marks for lyrics that are direct quotes and not paraphrases.)

How do we look through other people’s eyes?

Do bees get tired?

I watched the waltz of two butterflies as they danced over the floor of a grassy field.

“You’re a rogue if you think that I’ll be just like you.”

How long does it take us to figure out what we need?

“Inside you’re ugly, ugly like me.”

“Healing hand held back by the deepened nail, follow the God who failed.”

“Why can’t I breathe whenever I think about you?”

The Paschal Lamb had to be eaten the night of the Passover. None could be left over until morning.

Seen on a sign: “A free slice of head, the cure for summertime blues.” (This was on a sign in front of a bread store. I think it was supposed to be ‘bread’; I thought it was hilarious.)

“Trying to live in a world I don’t belong.”

“I’m forever alone.”

What did the world do before cell-phones?

The Pope: Boxers or briefs?

While I was at Wal-Mart there were some Amish people shopping. I had a few questions about them. Are they allowed to use doors that open and close automatically? Are they allowed to use toilets that flush automatically? Are they allowed to use sinks that turn the water on an off by sensor? Are they allowed to use electric hand dryers? Is this why Wal-Mart had both automatically opening doors and the kind that you have to open yourself?

“Time by time our love gets turned to hate. But we stand by each other’s side.”

“You gave me life, now show me how to live.”

“Some say we’re born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a pile of ‘dem bones.”

“Messiah, take away all the hatred, it darkens the light in your eyes.”

“All alone I fall to pieces.”

Do we prevent ourselves from knowing God by trying to know the world too much, or too well?

If you don’t want to be blinded by the light, get out of the darkness now. Get your eyes accustomed to the light.

It is hard to hunger and thirst for righteousness with a belly full of nachos and coke.

God does not simply overlook our inabilities and weaknesses. He takes the harder route: He works through them.

A better question to ask than “Why do bad things happen to good people” is “Why do good things happen to bad people?”

Did you know that SPAM now comes with its own re-seal-able plastic container? That way, if you only want a little SPAM now you can save the rest for later or tomorrow. Am I the only one who sees something seriously wrong with wanting to keep SPAM past the hour the can is opened?

(Copied from a book title): “Does God believe in Atheists?”

The point is simple. It is easy to hear people crying out to God on Christian radio or in Christian literature. It is more challenging to hear how God reminds people of His presence in the midst of darkness. Yet God has not left Himself without witnesses, and sometimes God speaks to people in these strange ways and in places where us Holy Christians probably dare not go. Remember, Jesus dined with sinners because they were the ones who needed Him, and, ironically, it was they who tolerated Him. Strange to think that more people are crying out to God than even they themselves realize. The soul of people’s discomfort and fears are usually found in the things that they, sometimes unwittingly, say, write or sing. God has not left Himself without witnesses.

For that I am glad. I am not suggesting, however, that we should tune in to all the filthy radio stations that are offered up as entertainment or watch television shows just because they mention God’s Name in some convoluted dialogue masquerading as religious canon. What I am saying is that among certain things is a context and a bridge that can be crossed when sharing the Gospel with people. They may have never heard of your favorite Christian musician, but likely you have heard and listened to their favorite not-Christian musician. How can this be a bridge into their lives and open a discussion about Jesus? This, I believe, is the key to reaching the lost. It becomes a common place, a meeting ground, where we can begin to become light to someone who lives in perpetual darkness. Where will you begin?


No comments: