Thursday, July 15, 2004

Learning to See God

Read Job 19:1-29

In James Strauss’s commentary on Job: Shattering the Silence, in the Bible Study Textbook Series published by College Press he writes, “Job [is] our great paradigm of growth through suffering. We either see our troubles through God, or God through our troubles. What alternatives are available?” (181) Job is beginning to see God through his troubles and chapter 19 is a profound statement of his clearest vision yet.

But first Job cries out for mercy from his friends. “How long will you torment and crush me with your words? Ten times now you have reproached me; shamelessly you attack me.” Sometimes there is no escape from people who may well have good intentions but lack tact and honest compassion. He goes on: “Have pity on me, my friends, have pity, for the hand of God has struck me. Why do you pursue me as God does? Will you never get enough of my flesh?” With the type of friends Job had we can be reasonably sure he needed no enemies.

I admire Job though. He was quick with his tongue and he was a man who knew what he wanted even if he was uncertain how to get it. He seems at times to not even be speaking to his friends but directly to God as if, on might say, to provoke God to break his silence. Verse 7 simply proves the point: “Though I cry, ‘I’ve been wronged!’ I get no response; though I call for help, there is no justice.” Here I find it difficult to believe Job is talking to his friends, and not God.

The most remarkable verse in Job is found in verses 23-27 for here is surely Job’s confession of faith! He wants his words to be written down so that others will read them. I wonder if he had any idea that you and I would be reading them several thousand years later? I think that just goes to show that times never really change, nor do people for that matter.

Look what he says in verse 25-27: “I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been destroyed, yet in my flesh I will see him. I myself will see him with my own eyes, I and not another. How my heart yearns within me.” There is no denying that Job is referring here to his own resurrection from the dead. He will see God. He wants to see God. He yearns to see God. For Job nothing can fully justify his experience except a vision of God. He may want to die, but he wants to live again too. Only God can fully explain his situation. And I think that is what he is hoping for.

Job also realizes though that his vindication might not happen right then and now. He speaks of a future time after his flesh has been destroyed. Still, he also knows that his Redeemer lives! And when we are suffering affliction so bad that everyone has abandoned us this is important to know. No matter how dead we are or become, God our hope in whom we place our trust is still alive.

Prayer Thoughts on Job 19:1-29

Pray for the soon return of Jesus. Pray that our Redeemer, who lives, will soon crack the sky, that our eyes, our own eyes, may behold his majestic grace. Pray that when suffering and affliction become a part of our daily diet we may learn to see God through our suffering as Job did. Finally, pray that you will be ready to see God when the time finally comes upon us.

No comments: