Saturday, August 28, 2004

Existence

I wrote this the other day after I finished reading a description of the modern attitude towards life and living. I don't subscribe to this philosophy, of course, but I figured first person would be the best way to express it. Like most of the poetry I publish here this poem is scribbled first in a spiral bound notebook and it is unfinished and unedited. Maybe I will fix that later, maybe not.

I want to be alone
With no one close or near.
Perhaps a quiet, whitewashed
Room
With no windows or doors to fear.

I want to be my own
Company throughout the day.
Perhaps share a few
Words
Or a story or two with myself,
But not with you.

I want to enjoy my presence,
And--how wonderful it is!--
What a delight it is to avoid
Others'
Pedantic adolescence.

I want to share myself with
Myself today. I have so much to
Offer.
All I need is what I have;
I need no other lover.

I want a quiet moment or two,
To laugh at a joke I told
Myself
The other day when I needed a smile
And a hand to hold.

I want the space around me to empty
Except when I want to cry.
And I want no one around while I'm living.
But,
The world must be paralyzed
When I decide to die.

Soli Deo Gloria
DG--August 27, 2004

No comments: