Friday, September 03, 2004

Does God Heal?

Friends,

Later on today or tomorrow, check back for a short exercise in futility. I will not be answering the question, just exploring some inklings that started whispering in my mind yesterday when I was at a minister's meeting. (Those can be so dull!) Anyhow, we talked and talked and arrived at no satisfactory conclusions (satisfactory to my mind) because one of us was on the right, one on the left and one straight down the middle. So later, when time permits, I will be exploring some of these inklings. Someone said yesterday that the greatest miracle that God still performs in our day is the conversion of someone to Christ, the implication being that God still needs to validate the message of the Gospel with accompanying signs and wonders. I will explore this thought too, becasue it seems to me that faith comes by hearing not by miracles and it also seems to me that the changed life is the validation of the Gospel--not a supposed miracle that caused the life to be changed. However, I am not Thomas Jefferson or some other agnostic who disbelieves in miracles and supernatural; I am concerned that I don't mistake the work of magicians as the work of the Spirit. Anyhow, I must educate my children now. Bye.

DG

No comments: