Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Thinking Out Loud About Jesus in Hebrews

There is something about the first four verses of the letter we call Hebrews that boggles the mind. I'd like to have the ability to say that much, about one 'topic', in as few sentences, as the writer of Hebrews did in the first four verses. However, it is more than likely that I, being as American as I am, and being far more interested in saying something clever, and enjoying stringing words together in long chains, that I will use more words than necessary to say far less than I had hoped, and, thus, leave the reader more confused at the end of the paragraph than they were before they started reading the thoughts I put down on paper, computer screen, or in the sky, where, the best one could hope for is an eraser, delete key or wind. That should help.

"In the past Go spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven. So he became as much superior to the angels as the name he has inherited is superior to theirs" (Hebrews 1:1-4, NIV).

Take a breath now. Breathe deeply, slowly. Let these words sink in deep as you consider the granduer, the awesomeness, the overwhelming stature of Jesus, the Messiah.

________________
I just received a free issue of CCM--Contemporary Christian Music. "Enjoy your FREE issue!" they say. So I will. The thing that bugs me is the blurb on the fake cover: "Worship is the most popular genre of Christian Music." (Emphasis is theirs.) I have a problem with this notion that worship has become merely a 'genre' of music--as if there is anything else to do with music, as if one particular style can be called 'worship,' as if worship is merely a Christian thing. I'm ranting, perhaps. I just don't think worship should be downgraded to a mere genre. After all, worship is directed to God. Who is to say that music is the only way to worship? Who says worship will go away if the CCM genre went away. Sounds to me like another way of riding a green wave. To think that we should grow rich because of worship is, to me, scary.
_________________
Have you listened to the David Crowder Band? There are not enough words to describe how unbelievably good this band is. Their music is quality, deep, and delights the imagination, stirs the heart for God, and draws the listener into a participatory worship. In other words, one cannot help but sing along. I suspect that is what DCB would like to know. I only just received 'A Collision or 3+4=7' on my birthday. I have already listened to it, in its entirety, like 100 times. It is that good. I praise God for DCB! I first heard this band at Ohio Teens for Christ about 5 years ago. I only wish then I had known what I know now about this band and their music. Go buy their CD today.
_________________
Thanks for reading. I might have more to say later. I am sort of overwhelmed right now. My church has put together a team of missionaries to take a trip to Austria in 2008 to work at a mission house. Please pray for us.
DG

No comments: