Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Church Building, pt 1: Christian Mecca

Where does God live? Is the place where I worship the 'house of God'? That's what I grew up believing. I think perhaps people said such absurd things because they wanted us children not to run around the building. They wanted us to be respectful of the property. So instead of saying to us, "Hey, that door cost us $1500 don't swing on it." They said, "Hey this is the House of God. Show some respect." Either way, I suppose, we did not swing on the door. I'm reminded that God does not live in houses built by human hands. I'm also reminded that the body of the Christian is the Temple of God--something that seems to be lost in our church-speak nowadays unless we are trying to guilt people into not drinking, smoking or abusing themselves with all sorts of sexual laxity.

I have a lot of things to say about church buildings. I think they get too much credit for being the Christian version of Mecca. And, to be sure, there are a about 10,000 Meccas in the world of churchianity. Every other day, there is a new Prophet building a new Mecca hoping to attract a throng of pilgrims. I dislike buildings as much as I recognize they are, probably, a necessary evil. I sincerely believe that the modern craze of building giant buildings is as bad as the ancient craze of building giant cathedrals. It is all a waste of money, labor, and vision. Is our vision for the Kingdom of God merely concerned with how much property we own, how big our buildings are, and how many removable, stackable chairs fill the auditorium? I'm reminded of a comment I read the other day that the Church's effectiveness is not measured in its seating capacity, but in its sending capacity. I will tear down these barns and build bigger ones to accommodate all the grain this bumper crop has produced.

I'm not interested in a bigger building. I'm not interested in folding, stackable, and/or removable chairs (chairs that normally cost around $75-$150 each!). We don't need a building with bigger seating capacity and better parking. Rather, we need a building with bigger doors. Because when church is done correctly, that is, when the Body of Christ functions well, people will be as anxious to get out as they are to get in. People will not be content to merely 'come to church' or 'go to church.' Instead, they will be anxious to go and be the church in places where the church is not. Thus, their 'House of God' will be the world. Their altar will be a darkened place where light is needed. Their pew will be a park bench where some lonely person is sitting. Their pulpit will be a dugout at a little league baseball field. Their communion cup and bread will be the meal they share with a hungry person. Their offering will be their very life they give as a living sacrifice.

I'm sure others have said this before and that I am not the last who will say it either. I don't need to be original. I do want to impress upon anyone who happens to glance at this, however, that if the Church is going to win the lost then the church must be in those places where the lost are. In other words, it seems to me far more biblical to go instead of to wait; far more biblical to serve and not be served; far more biblical to give it away than to keep it for the self; far more biblical to live on the edge of disaster than in palaces of opulence. You know, if we have all that we need here then what is left to look forward to? "By faith Abraham made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God" (Hebrews 11:9-10).

"Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them" (Hebrews 11:16). Me too. I don't want a building. I want an entire country; an entire city, something made not out of stuff that will perish.

DG

No comments: