Sunday, October 02, 2005

Genesis 12-25/Luke 1-24

Two more chapters and I will be finished with today’s reading schedule. I have had a lot of fun reading today. I mostly read today because the world of sports was dull and disappointing. Well, I read because I honestly would rather read. I confess, however, that I did look at the idiot box every now and again. I never enjoy watching the television as much as I would like too. I always end up feeling like I have wasted time, energy and imagination.

So I spent considerable time in Genesis and Luke today. In Genesis I read chapters 12-25. These chapters cover primarily the story of Abraham and his wife Sarah. There are a few stories scattered in here and there—stories about Lot, Sodom & Gomorrah and other thigns. The story of Abraham, though, takes center stage and it is on this story of Abraham I would like to point something out to you reading this.

Abraham certainly had some issues in his life. First, he had a hard time believing that God was actually going to produce a child of the covenant through he and his wife. Second, Abraham lied every now and again about his relationship to Sarah claiming she was his sister in order to save his own skin. There is another side of Abraham that stood out of the reading for today that intrigued me: It was his relationship with God through worship.

It is difficult not to notice this side of Abraham when reading through these chapters. I noticed at least five occasions when Abraham moved somewhere or went somewher that he built an altar to the Lord. Wherever Abraham lived his life was centered on worship of God. Wherever he lived there would be a constant reminder of God’s presence in the form of an altar. Since altars are the place where sacrifices are made perhaps this was Abraham’s way of constantly being reminded of his need for God’s grace. Whatever the case may be, it makes me wonder how many Christians have the same attitude. Do we construct our lives around an altar that we have built to the Lord? And don’t say we don’t need one because Paul wrote in Romans 12 that we are to offer our bodies ‘as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to the Lord.’

We are also told of more than one occasion when Abraham fell facedown in the presence of the Lord. This was, evidently, a standard way of greeting the Lord. But then what other way is there? I wonder sometimes if we are not just a little too friendly with God when we worship. Another time Abraham won a military victory and when Melchizedek came out Abraham gave a tenth of all he owned to him. This event became so important to Christian theology that the author of the book of Hebrews holds it up for his readers as an example of the way a Christian should behave towards Jesus.

A final aspect of Abraham’s life that intrigued me was his life of sacrifice. He left his family, his country, and set out on faith to a place he had never been. But that’s not all. Remember, he set up altars everywhere he went and I am convinced that if we are told he did it on three or four occassions we can likely, safely assume he did it everywhere he went. Then there is the great sacrifice scene in chapter 15 when God establishes his covenant with Abraham. And there is also the great scene in chapter 22 when Abraham builds an altar, offers his son Isaac, and worships the Lord. Abraham shows himself to be a man who makes the tough choices for God when God asks him to and even when God does not ask him to. Abraham is a man who made sacrifices.

All in all the scripture suggests that Abraham was a man of worship and deep devotion to God. And there is more than what I have written. Read it for yourself and see what Abraham can teach you about being devoted to the Lord God.

Jerry

PS--Sorry for any typos or grammar issues.

PSS--I thought the comparisons between Abraham/Sarah and Zechariah/Elizabeth in Luke were interesting. And I found a reference to a 'daughter of Abraham' and a 'son of Abraham' in Luke as well.

No comments: