Saturday, October 01, 2005

Genesis 1-11/Matthew 1-28 Reading for October 1

I am just about finished with today’s reading of Matthew 1-28 and Genesis 1-11. I am not finished but I am sufficiently versed in the content of Genesis 1-11 that I can make a few comments before I have actually finished the reading. Matthew is finished. Wow! What a tour de force! What a whirlwind adventure! Matthew’s Gospel is amazing, and more amazing every time I read it.

The sun is setting behind me as I write. Today went fast. I awoke early and started reading Matthew. In the midst of my reading I went to two soccer games, chopped a ton (not literally) of wood, and listened to the Indians lose (again). This was also the first of seven scheduled days of fasting that will take place in October. I have learned that even when one fasts life goes on and must. Jesus said, "Put oil on your head, wash your face and keep it between you and your Father." Act as if nothing in the world is going on between you and God to the world; act as if everything in the world is going on between you and God to God. Today has been a blessed day but not because I did any or all of the above.

So while I read I asked questions. I’d like to share a few of those questions with you just now and offer some preliminary musings towards answers—if answers are needed.

First, Why did God choose to start the Gospel story with the Creation story? Why does Matthew begin or continue the Gospel story of the Son of God by reminding us of the son’s of men? I heard someone say one time (concerning abortion) that ‘life begins at conception because it cannot begin anywhere else.’ I got to thinking as I read Genesis, Maybe the Gospel begins at creation because it cannot begin anywhere else. I wondered if Jesus would make sense if we did not have Genesis 1-3. And I also wondered this: If Genesis 1-2 were ever conclusively proven to be a lie would the entirety of the Gospel would fall apart?

Second, Why is each day in Genesis 1 pronounced ‘good’? It is necessary for us to understand that God did not create a world with sin, but that sin entered the world by a free choice. Genesis teaches us why God created: He saw that it was good. That is, creation was originally a reflection of His goodness (note that he proclaimed not one thing 'bad'). And that goodness would ultimately be reflected in Man because of all that God created the Bible says only man was made in His Image.

Third, Why does Matthew begin his Gospel with a genealogy? I got to thinking that it must have something to do with showing this is the point of history. This is God breaking in, but also in control of what has been going on since the beginning. What we are about to read is no mere accident. This is no blip on the historical timeline—this is happening for a reason, and by design. It is not about establishing Jesus’ pedigree, nor is it about knowing the names of dead people. It is about seeing the hand of God in the midst of history (especially noted by Matthew’s mention of five women in this genealogy). It will get even better when you note how often Matthew mentions that something in Jesus’ life took place to ‘fulfill what was spoken through the prophet’.

Fourth, When Herod heard about the star the Magi were following why didn’t he just go outside and look for it himself? I also wondered why it was that foreigners from the East saw the star but natives in the Land did not. Was the star hidden? Had it faded so that the Magi had only their calculations to go by? I just wondered.

I have some more things I wondered about, but I figure you have read enough today. And if you are reading this—well, you’re probably tired by now! I’m looking forward to tomorrow and the Day of Worship. You can write in your own comments or questions about today’s reading by clicking the comments link below. Have a nice evening.

Jerry

No comments: