Tuesday, June 08, 2004

My Fish Are Always Hungry

My fish are like my cat: they are always hungry. It's like they know when I am near. Seriously. If I walk near the aquarium, they swim to the top and start barking and meowing for food. No, I do not have dogfish or catfish. Just some guppies that reproduce like rabbits. We started with 5. We now have about 20. Fish. I think the fish need a bigger home, although I am certain that once the house gets bigger the family will too. Funny, that.

The fish have their own semi-private world in which they live. They have yet to move in furniture or decorate the glass with obnoxious cloth that will fade on the side closest to the sun. They have not hooked up the internet or bought a surround sound system. And as far as I can tell, they have no interest whatsoever in finding Nemo. Then again, they are fish.

I wonder what it is like to live an entire life and never have anything to say or, worse, never having any way to say anything that might need to be said. "Don't go near that bubbling thing." "Don't eat that!" "Hey, that's your sister." I would hate to be a fish...today.

Why are fish named after other animals or things? Clown fish, dogfish, catfish, angelfish (why does anyone think angels look like that?), star fish (I have never seen a star that looks like that) and others. Maybe it is not that certain fish look like dogs or cats but the other way around: Maybe certain dogs and cats and others look like fish!? Who really knows? More than likely some genius out there will have the answer and inform me. Please accept my unconditional thanks in advance.

I have the same problem as my fish: I am always hungry. I am currently in the process of trying to change what my body hungers and thirsts for. I believe the best way to do this is by spending time fasting and thirsting. We humans are simply, entirely, pathetically, too quick to satisfy our hunger just because we can. Stale pizza and flat dr. Pepper do not a good meal make. They left me hungry, not satisfied. Jesus said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled."

Until next time.

No comments: