Wednesday, June 30, 2004

Eloi, Eloi Lama Sabachthani

Read Job 9:1-10:22

If there is anything in this world I dislike with a fiery passion it is being alone. There is nothing, in my opinion, worse than being alone. We live in a place where being alone is often lauded as helpful and beneficial. But we also live in a place where a person can be sitting in a stadium full of thousands of people and still be alone. True, there are times when we need to be ‘by ourselves.’ It just seems that we have increasingly managed to cut ourselves off completely from one another and thus we are often ‘lonely.’

I hate being alone and I am certain that Job felt much the same way, but with a slight twist. Let me ask: Have you ever found yourself to be in a situation where you wish God would come down and speak to you face to face? Job did, and yet he still says, “Though one wished to dispute with him, he could not answer him one time out of a thousand.” (3) After all, he says, “He is the maker of the Bear and Orion, the Pleiades and the constellations of the south.” (9) How could anyone stand in God’s Presence?

I remember when I was walking through the valley one time. I remember going out to a deserted place and yelling at the sky and the stars in the cold night air. There I stood, leaning against my car, shivering in the chill nighttime air, screeching like an infant. I remember the stars just staring back at me, not moving, not diminishing their glow, just staring. I am sure they did not hear me, and even more certain they did not care. I wonder what would have happened if God had come down that night or if He had cracked the sky and spoken to me. “Though I were innocent, I could not answer Him; I could only plead with my Judge for mercy.” (15) I would not have been so bold, probably, more frightened than anything—if not dead.

There are times when we do feel this way. That is, that God is so far away, so distant, so removed that we are convinced that He does not exist or that He has totally forsaken us or handed us over to complete destruction. We have all felt that way at times; I am sure of it. I am reasonably convinced that sometimes we feel like Jesus did on the cross: “Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabachthani.”

Remember the opening chapters though. God had not abandoned Job nor had Job abandoned God. Job felt God was distant, but I think deep inside Job knew God was there or else he would not have said as much as he said. I picture Job weeping as he screams, crying as he talks, panting and clutching his face when he whispers. So in his grief and sorrow and pain and despair he prays. Chapter 10 is the prayer he prayed.

What else is a person supposed to do when they feel left alone to the devices of destruction? Where else can we turn? To whom can we go? I notice that Job is never told his words were wrong by God. I truly believe God wants to know exactly what is on our hearts. I truly believe He wants us to “give free rein to our complaint.” (10:1). I believe it would be better for us to tell God than to tell someone else. At least God will understand; at least God is not indifferent. "I will never leave you nor forsake you."

Prayer Thoughts

Perhaps today you are harboring some pent up resentment or anger. I encourage you today to “speak out of the bitterness of your soul” (10:1). God is concerned that you communicate with him. He wants to hear what is on your heart and mind right now. So tell Him.

No comments: