Thursday, June 14, 2007

Malcom Muggeridge & Living Water

Friends,

I came across this quote too late to include it in yesterday’s meditation, but I thought it was pertinent enough to give it its own place here.

I may, I suppose, regard myself, or pass for being, a relatively successful man. People occasionally start at me in the streets-that’s fame. I can fairly easily earn enough to qualify for admission to the higher slopes of the Inland Revenue–that’s success. Furnished with money and a little fame even the elderly, if they care to, may partake of trendy diversions-that’s pleasure. It might happen once in a while that something I said or wrote was sufficiently heeded for me to persuade myself that it represented a serious impact on our time-that’s fulfillment. Yet I say to you, and beg you to believe me, multiply these tiny triumphs by a million, add them all together, and they are nothing-less than nothing, a positive impediment-measured against one draught of that living water Christ offers to the spiritually thirsty, irrespective of who or what they are. (As quoted by Bruce Milne, John, in the Bible Speaks Today commentary series, p 84, 1993)

What beautiful words from Jesus: “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.” Can we give anything to Jesus in such sufficient quantities that it will outweigh what He gives to us? Can we give him a drink who is our drink? Oh, Praise Him! O, Praise Him!

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: