Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Lament for the Loss of Personality

(Use caution when approaching. This beast is ferocious and frightening. It may bite if you are not careful.--DG)

Should I be David, king and messiah,
Or Paul, preacher full of fire?
Should I be Peter, a mouth full and free?
Or, do you think, perhaps I could be me?
Should I be someone you admire
Or someone you despise?
Should I live so you open
Or so you close your eyes?
Should I set you aflame?
Should I light you afire?
Should I bring you to the depths
Or lift you ever higher?

Whom shall I be today so that
You may smile for a moment?
Shall I make peace with myself
Or a riot foment?
Shall I make you smile on
Your sad, sad day?
Are you offended if I make you blush
Or if I lead you astray?
You tell me who you want me to be
Because you seem to know better
What’s inside of me.
You know to the letter
What others need to see
And how you can happy
By setting me free.

I’m play-dough.
I’m clay.
Make me into cookies,
Make me into hay.
Whatever makes you smile
Or strikes up your bands,
I’m all you can imagine
A pen in your hands.

DG--'04

No comments: